What To Consider Before Getting A Divorce
If you are considering a divorce but have yet to take action, there are numerous things you should consider prior to going forward. In general, those pursuing a divorce believe their life will improve if their relationship ends. However, often times there is no clear cut answer as to whether divorce is the best solution. Thus, being the person in the relationship that asks for the divorce can be a particularly daunting task.
What to Consider
Filing for divorce is one of the biggest decisions you will make in your life. It is critical that you carefully consider all of your circumstances before making a decision. The following are a few items you should consider prior to telling your spouse your intentions of filing for divorce:
- Why did you marry your spouse to begin with? Taking time to look back and reflect on your happiness at the beginning of your marriage often helps couples rekindle their spark.
- Have you tried alternative methods to save your relationship? For instance, have you tried counseling or other forms of therapy?
- Your quality of living may not be as good initially. You are now trying to create two homes on the income that used to sustain just one.
- Your children may struggle as the process unfolds and they may not tell you how they truly feel.
- Have you taken the time to evaluate what your life will look like if you go forward with the divorce? It is easy to fall into the mindset of the “grass is always greener”, but have you taken time to understand that a divorce may not solve your problems? In fact, this huge change in someone’s life can lead to dramatic financial, health, and social changes.
- It is important to know that the toughest part of a divorce is often after the divorce is finalized. This is when you go through the process of healing from the marriage and learning to be happy on your own.
Taking time to reflect on these questions and truly understand if a divorce is right for you can be greatly beneficial for your life moving forward. In the event that you determine it is time to proceed through a divorce, it is important that you are direct and straightforward about your intentions to your spouse. Beating around the bush will not do good for either party, and using the time for a constructive conversation to formulate a plan for the future can be invaluable. Above all else, do not rush the process and ensure everyone has the time to adequately adjust to their new lives.
Reach Out to Us Today for Help
If you are considering a divorce or are ready to file for divorce, speaking with an attorney can help you organize your thoughts and ensure you are positioned for success as your life goes through a dramatic transition. Even if you are on good terms with your partner an attorney can be a valuable unbiased party who works to ensure that the future of you and your children is taken care of. For compassionate and effective counsel contact attorney Sandra Bonfiglio in Fort Lauderdale today.